Pages

Monday, March 14, 2011

Irish Soda Bread

I'm no good at baking bread.  I don't have the patience for it, I think.  But Irish Soda Bread is no usual bread...no kneading, no rising, no yeast, no waiting.  And it's supposed to be ugly once it's baked!  I can handle that.  So in honor of St. Patrick's Day, we had some Irish Soda Bread to go with Panera Broccoli Cheddar Soup from Sams (and our pot o' gold from the end of the rainbow).

I found this recipe on Tasty Kitchen, but I left out the caraway seeds 'cause I don't like 'em.   Oh, and even my little boy with a stomach bug devoured it! Who doesn't love fresh bread out of the oven?

4-¾ cups Flour
½ teaspoons Salt
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
3 Tablespoons Honey
1 whole Egg
1-½ cup Buttermilk
3 Tablespoons Butter, Melted

To a bowl add together dry ingredients: the flour, salt, and baking soda. Mix well.
Now add in the honey, egg, and buttermilk. Stir it up until a dough just begins to form.
Add in the melted butter and knead dough until all ingredients are combined. Don’t overknead.
Form into a ball and cut a plus sign at the top of the loaf. Put dough on a baking sheet and place in an oven preheated to 350ºF for 50 minutes to an hour.