Pages

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Homemade Ranch Dressing

My kids love ranch dressing, and it's a condiment that will get them to eat almost any vegetable.  Aside from the general health concerns about ranch, I think it's gloppy and gross, so I make my own much tastier (and healthier) version.  I mix it up and just keep in the the fridge to eat throughout the week.  The kids like to dip carrots in it, and I really like it with raw red (or orange or yellow) bell peppers.  And radishes. I love radishes.  I'm weird like that.

3 parts fat free Greek yogurt
1 part real mayo like Hellman's (I hate mayo, btw, but it's necessary to make this taste like dressing)
1-2 cloves of garlic grated with a microplane (don't chop it or you'll bite into raw garlic)
juice of one whole lemon
salt and pepper to taste
various fresh herbs to taste (in the winter I don't add herbs, only because I don't have any)

Just mix it up with a wisk until combined.  To make the dressing thinner to use as salad dressing, add a little skim milk or better yet, skim buttermilk.