Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Greek Turkey Meatballs

I actually made these up during naptime and put the cookie sheet in the fridge until dinner.  Then, I just popped them in the oven when it was time for dinner.  Fast, healthy, pretty, and delicious! And 2/3 of the children liked them, too. 

Greek-ish Turkey Meatballs
1 pound ground all white meat turkey
1 box frozen, chopped spinach, thawed
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (leftover from the grilled pizzas)
1 whole egg
1 teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper


Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
 
Add ground turkey, spinach, garlic, feta, egg, oregano, salt and pepper to large bowl and mix well. Make small meatballs by either rolling in your hands or using a ice cream scoop (I used the small ice cream scoop I use for cookies).
Place meatballs on a lightly greased cookie sheet and place in oven for 10 minutes. Turn the meatballs over and return to oven for 10 more minutes.
I served them with grilled pita bread and tzatziki sauce.  We also had a little hummus, but I'll post on that later.

Tzatziki Sauce
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/2 seedless cucumber, peeled grated on box grater
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon champagne vinegar
juice of one lemon
2 cloves garlic, grated
fresh mint, to taste
fresh dill, if you like dill. I do not. If you know about my pickle aversion, you don't need to ask why I hate dill.

Mix it all together.