Pages

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Red Beans and Rice

adapted from Southern Living

1  pound  dried red beans
3/4  pound  smoked sausage, thinly sliced
3  celery ribs, chopped
1  red bell pepper, chopped
1  onion, chopped
3  garlic cloves, minced
1-2  tablespoons Creole seasoning (gotta put some Tony's in it! Laissez les bon temps roulez, y'all!)
chicken stock and water
Hot cooked  rice

Soak the beans overnight.  Rinse beans and put them in the crock pot with everything else.  Add one box of chicken stock and water to cover.  Cook on low for 10 hours or more.  Serve over cooked rice.

I put some cheese on it for the kids and they just gobbled it up.  We barely have enough leftover for my lunch tomorrow!

Oh,  and I picked the sausage out of my bowl because, well, I don't eat sausage.  I have a mental scar from reading Upton Sinclar's The Jungle in the 11th grade. Anyway....

I actually did all the chopping after dinner the night before while the kitchen was already a mess from that night's dinner, and put the veggies in the fridge overnight.  Then in the morning, I just rinsed the beans and added the liquid and spices.   Easy.  I don't enjoy chopping onions while I'm having coffee in the morning!