Pages

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Baked Potato Soup

Because it's freezing and raining outside when it's supposed to be SPRING, I made a last minute decision that I had to make Baked Potato Soup for dinner.  I didn't have every necessary ingredient to have the Southern Living Baked Potato Soup that I usually make, so I improvised with what I had.  It turned out great.  But what isn't great when served with cheese and bacon?!

1 (1 lb. 8 oz) bag of baby yukon gold potatoes
1 white onion
1/2 cup diced carrots
3 cloves chopped garlic
5 slices bacon
1 tablespoon flour
2 cups of grated cheddar cheese
salt and pepper
milk and chicken stock

"Bake" the potatoes in the microwave for 5 minutes, or until tender.  Meanwhile, cut up the bacon and cook in a dutch oven until crispy.  Remove bacon from pan and drain off some of the oil (if you want to).  Saute the onions and carrots for about 5 minutes in the bacon drippings, until soft.  Add the garlic and cook for a minute more.  Chop up the cooked potatoes and add to the pan (I didn't peel them), add salt and pepper, and stir.  Add a tablespoon of flour to the pan and cook for a couple of minutes.  Add half milk and half chicken stock to cover and bring to a boil.  Once it's all thickened up, puree in the food processor (or use an immersion blender) until smooth.  Add it all back to the dutch oven and add more milk until it's as thick as you like it.  Add a cup of cheese, let it melt, and then serve the soup with grated cheese and the bacon from earlier.   Sour cream would have been great, too, but I didn't have any..