Pages

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Fish Tacos

I love fish tacos, but had never made them before, so I researched a lot of recipes and they all seemed too complicated (not to mention unhealthy with the fried fish and the heavy cream sauce).

I ending up adapting several recipes and the tacos turned out SO great! And it only took me 35 minutes from start to sitting down eating, including thawing the fish. Not bad, considering I spent 5 minutes or so looking for my camera so I could take a picture of the darn thing!

For the fish:
2 large tilapia filets (this fed 2 adults and 1 child; 2 children ate cheese tacos instead)
salt and pepper
1 teaspoon cumin
1 tablespoon flour

For the sauce:
1/3 cup Homemade Ranch Dressing (no herbs added)
juice of 1 whole lime
2 teaspoons honey
cilantro to taste
a pinch of cumin and chili powder

For serving:
6 inch corn tortillas (I'll use flour tortillas next time)
shredded red cabbage
cilantro
salsa (I made a quick pico de gallo with grape tomatoes, onions, lime, cilantro, and salt.)
lime wedges

Thaw and pat dry tilapia.  Season with salt, pepper, and cumin.  Sprinkle with a little flour and shake off the excess.  The flour will create a little crust on the fish.

Heat a nonstick skillet over medium high heat and add 2 tablespoons of canola oil.  Cook fish 2-3 minutes and then flip and cook an additional 2-3 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish.  Remove fish from pan and assemble tacos.