Pages

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Steak

So John went to Sams on Sunday afternoon.  Every time he goes there, he comes home with lots of red meat, huge boxes of snacks, and random pastries. 

I should mention we live about 1 minute from a new Sams club, so we go there to pick up a gallon of milk or a loaf of bread pretty frequently. I'm really not a hoarder buying 100 rolls of toilet paper every week....Anyway, he came home with 4 filet mignons.   So we had filet mignon on a Tuesday night.  Livin' large, y'all.

When we eat steak, John grills it.  He always cooks it to a perfect medium, it's delicious, and I don't really like red meat very much.  But today, it snowed a lot, so nobody wanted to go outside and start the grill.  I had to quickly figure out how to cook steak inside.  Guess what I learned?  You use the same technique I use for the Simple Salmon.  Easy.  And good.

Season filets with salt, pepper, garlic powder.  Sear in a HOT skillet with a little olive oil for about 5 minutes, until the bottom is crusty and brown.  Flip filets and put in a 450 degree oven until done.  

Here 's a neat touch test my husband shared with me on how to tell if your steak is cooked as much as you like:
if it feels like your cheek, then it's rare.  If it feels like your chin, it's medium rare.  And if it feels like the end of your nose, it's cooked medium.  Don't cook steak any more than medium. 

Let the steaks rest for 15 minutes.  Add one tablespoon of butter to the pan drippings and pour over the steaks (and potatoes, yum) to serve. 

I also made smashed potatoes, which are just russet gold potatoes boiled until done and then mashed with about 1 tablespoon of butter and skim milk (and salt and pepper).  Oh, I don't peel potatoes.  Not for anybody.  I peeled my finger once, but that's a story for another day....And we had a small salad with balsamic vinaigrette using the basic vinaigrette recipe. 

I have a lot to say about portion size, and how it relates to staying thin and also enjoying food (and life) and I'll get to that later in the week.  But you should know that this picture is of John's plate.  The kids and I all split one filet.  The new USDA guidelines just came out and I have to collect my thoughts.