Pages

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Ham and Roasted Sweet Potatoes

My kids LOVE ham.  Who knows why, but they do.  And did you know that ham is incredibly easy to cook? 

First, I'll say that I tried to save a little money this week and get an inexpensive random brand name ham.  That was a mistake.  Can you see from this picture that the ham is kind of dry?  I usually get a bone in half Petit Jean Ham (Arkansas product) for the 5 of us.  It costs about $30.  This is really expensive for one dinner, but just wait: we'll eat 3 dinners from this one ham (and a couple of lunches).

Just put the ham, bone side down, in a roasting pan with a rack.  Add about 1/2 cup of water in the bottom of the pan and roast the ham for 10 minutes per pound.  Let the ham rest when it comes out of the oven.

Roasted sweet potatoes are so different and good!  Peel the potatoes, cut into smallish pieces, drizzle with olive oil, salt, and about a tablespoon of regular sugar.  Roast at 400 until browned, about 15-20 minutes. 


Mine here are black, because well, I had about 150 things going on at once and I forgot them.  But you won't do that.