Pages

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Butter Chicken

I've never had "real" butter chicken, seeing as how we have ZERO Indian restaurants in town and I've never been to India, so I don't know how this recipe compares. I sure sounded like a hick just then....Anyway, you must try this recipe even if it's not authentic butter chicken.  My children liked it, too.  Even the one who doesn't eat red, green, or white things, so she says.

Butter Chicken (from Tasty Kitchen)

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into bite sized pieces)
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
¼ teaspoon ground coriander
¼ teaspoon cumin
¼ teaspoon cardamom (maybe you have a good friend who will let you borrow some like I did!)
1 whole lime, juiced
1 whole onion, diced
¼ cup butter
1 can (14.5 oz. can) tomato sauce
1 can (14.5 oz. can) petite diced tomatoes
1 pint whipping cream
1 bunch chopped cilantro, to taste (I use a lot)
2 cups rice (I used Jasmine rice)

Combine first 9 ingredients and marinate overnight.

Saute the onion in the butter until soft. Add marinated chicken and cook about 10 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes. Cook for 30 minutes over medium-low heat with the lid on. Add the whipping cream and cilantro just before serving over rice.