Pages

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Chicken and Dumplings

Every self respecting southern cook knows how to make chicken 'n dumplins, right?  Well, I had never even EATEN them until a couple of years ago.  I didn't know what I was missing!

My friend introduced me to them, and also shared her recipe.  I've since learned that everyone has their own favorite recipes and techniques they use for dumplings.  So I've tried several recipes and I've changed her recipe a little based on what I've learned, but this one is still pretty close to hers. 


Jessica's Chicken and Dumplings
To make the broth and cook the chicken:
3 bone in chicken breasts or a whole chicken cut up
1 whole onion, cut in half
1 carrot
1 stalk celery
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper

Place everything in a big pot and cover with water.  Simmer until chicken is done, about an hour.  Strain the broth through a fine sieve, and add back to the pot.   Discard the vegetables and bay leaf.  Take the chicken off of the bones and shred it.

Dumplings:
I'll tell you that I've tried to make dumplings from scratch, and the Bisquick ones just turn out better.  I don't know why.
1 cup Bisquick
1 cup milk

Stir Bisquick and milk together.  I like small dumplings, so once the broth comes to a boil, I use my fingers to pinch off about a teaspoon of dough, and drop it into the broth.  Once all the dumplings are in the pot, boil until thickened.  Add chicken, and taste for salt and pepper.