Pages

Friday, August 5, 2011

Vine Ripe Tomato Pie

This recipe encompasses two of my favorite things: tomatoes and pie. I've always wanted to try the Paula Deen tomato pie, but my disdain for mayo has always stopped me.  So I decided to edit the recipe a little, and I really like how it turned out. 


Vine Ripe Tomato Pie

1 refrigerated pie crust (or make your own if you can, I cannot)
ripe tomatoes, enough to fill crust
3 green onions
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon fresh thyme
1/3 cup mayo
1/3 cup Greek yogurt
2/3 cup sharp cheddar, grated
1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1/3 cup fresh mozzarella, grated
salt and pepper, to taste

Roll out the pie crust and bake unfilled at 450 for 5-7 minutes, or until lightly brown.  Lower oven temperature to 350 and assemble pie. 

Mix cheese, mayo, and yogurt.  Layer tomatoes, onions, herbs, and cheese mixture, finishing with cheese.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes.  Uncover and bake another 15-20 minutes, or until brown and bubbly.  Let the pie cool just warm before cutting.