Pages

Thursday, August 4, 2011

French Breakfast Puffs

You know it's happened to you.  You tell somebody you are going to do something, and then completely forget.  Well, I told my friend I was bringing snacks over for our visit today (I was planning to make mini blueberry muffins) but I completely forgot until late last night.  I didn't have any blueberries; I actually had very few ingredients at all.  Enter: French Breakfast Puffs.  These muffins are made completely with pantry ingredients AND they are delicious.

Warning: don't google French Breakfast Puffs or you might stumble across a calorie count.  You don't want to know.

Like my Real Housewives of Arkansas pose with the muffin?
French Breakfast Puffs
Yield: about 18 muffins

3 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 tbs. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
2 eggs
2/3 cup shortening
1 cup milk

For the coating:
2 sticks butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tbs. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease muffin pans.
Combine flour, salt, baking power, and nutmeg in a large bowl.
In a mixer cream together sugar and shortening.  Add eggs and beat again.
Alternating between dry ingredients and milk, add 1/3 of each until everything is well combined.
Fill muffin cups 2/3 of the way full. 
Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. While baking melt butter in a dish and combine sugar and cinnamon in another.
Remove from the oven and coat each muffin in the melted butter then in the cinnamon/sugar mixture.