Pages

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Our Favorite Homemade Ice Cream

I haven't cooked in days.  Seems like weeks!  But I broke out the ice cream maker to make dessert for dinner with friends.  I don't make homemade ice cream very often, not because it's difficult, but because I will eat it all.  It's my favorite dessert!  Add some oreos to it and I can eat it for breakfast. My friend made a Texas Sheet Cake, too, and I'll share that recipe later this week.


 Cookies and Cream Ice Cream
(adapted from The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz)

2 cups heavy cream and 1 cup whole milk (I used skim because that's what I had)
¾ cup sugar
Pinch of salt
¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
Oreos

Pour 1 cup of the cream into a medium saucepan and add the sugar and salt. Warm over medium heat, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved.

Remove from the heat and add the remaining 1 cup cream and the milk and the vanilla extract.

Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator. When ready to churn, freeze the mixture in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.  Stir in crushed oreos by hand when ice cream is finished.  Transfer to covered container and freeze until firm.