Pages

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Nachos made with Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix

I wish I could say that I made this taco seasoning mix because the stuff in the yellow packet is so unhealthy or so I could save money.  But really, I just made it up because I'm home alone with a sick child and I had to have leftovers for dinner... But now that I've made it, I'm glad I did! The yellow packet stuff is truly full of unpronounceable ingredients and it's like a dollar and ounce. 

When you make up the taco meat, don't forget to add salt, because there isn't any in the mix.

Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix

Yield: Enough to season about 7 lb. of ground meat
Prep Time: 5 minutes

4 tablespoons chili powder
3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon paprika
3 tablespoons cumin
1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper


1. Whisk together all of the ingredients in a small bowl.
2. Over medium heat, brown 1 lb. of ground beef and drain. Add 2 tablespoons of seasoning mix and ¾ cup water and 1 tsp salt to the ground beef. Simmer, stirring frequently, until the sauce thickens and coats the beef, and there is not much liquid left.
3. Store remaining seasoning mix in an airtight container at room temperature.


Nachos
I really don't think I even need to say this: put chips on a cookie sheet, cover with taco meat and cheese.  Broil until bubbly, one minute. Top with salsa, sour cream, tomatoes, cilantro.  Duh, right?