I'd never had arugula pesto, and while it's different than basil pesto, it's delicious! This sandwich is creamy, crunchy, salty, and a little sweet. Loved it!
3 cups packed arugula
1/4 cup walnuts
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tbs mayo
salt and black pepper
1 cup walnuts
2 tbs light corn syrup
1 tbs sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
4 slices sourdough bread
1 pear, sliced thinly
4 thick slices brie
Arugula Pesto Mayo
- Combine arugula, nuts and parmesan in food processor until smooth.
- With machine running, gradually add olive oil and mix until well blended.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Add mayo and blend well.
- You will have extra after making the sandwich.
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Use silpat or spray sheet pan with non-stick spray.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and toss well.
- Spread out on sheet pan and bake, stirring occasionally to break up clumps, until deep golden brown and sugar is bubbling.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- You may have extra caramelized walnuts after making the sandwich.
- Spread arugula pesto mayo on both sides on bread. One one side, layer pears, then cheese and walnuts. Add top slice of bread and toast on panini press or in a pan lightly coated with olive oil. If using a pan, weigh down sandwich with another pan on top and a tea kettle or similar for weight. Flip over to grill evenly.
- Eat warm.