Pages

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Cranberry Apple Quinoa Salad

I was going to make a kind of Greek quinoa salad with tomatoes and cucumbers, but I totally forgot tomatoes at the store this week.  No way am I going back to Wal Mart for one thing!  You know I can't stand going there.  So I had to make up a recipe using some things I already had in the fridge.   It turned out better than great!

Cranberry Apple Quinoa Salad
1 cup dry quinoa
2 cups water
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
zest and juice of one lemon
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1-2 teaspoons honey (to taste)
4 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper
1/4 cup fresh herbs (I used mint, basil, and chives. YAY for spring!! I've got herbs!)
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup walnuts
1 small apple, diced

Cook the quinoa according to the package directions.  Let it cool on a sheet pan while you make the dressing.

Add the vinegar, lemon juice and zest, mustard, salt, and pepper to a large bowl and whisk to combine with olive oil.  Add the cooled quinoa and mix.   Add in the herbs, cranberries, walnuts, and apple.  Cover with plastic wrap and store in fridge until ready to eat.  Eat it cold. 

We had sauteed tilapia seasoned only with salt and pepper to go with the salad, although, the salad is a meal on it's own.  I felt like John needed something to make him feel less like a girl while he was eating something called Cranberry Apple Quinoa Salad for dinner.